Buy / Sell
Buying at Auction
How to find out sale dates.
- Visit our Auction Calendar to see forthcoming sale dates
- Purchase our forthcoming catalogue at the saleroom for £5 or £6.50 by post. A year subscription £55.
- Register to receive monthly emails to be notified when the sale is available on-line.
What is a condition report?
A condition report is simply asking an expert for their opinion on the condition, age and authenticity of the item. Many objects have restoration that is hard to detect, which will effect the objects value.
Get it by email so you have it in writing.
It`s a free service and helps you decide how much you really love the lot.
How to request condition reports & additional images.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via the on-line auction catalogue.
- If you need the specialist to contact you via telephone, this can also be requested.
Viewing the auction.
- We are open for viewing prior to the auction – for viewing times please see the sale catalogue.
- Viewing staff are available to assist in locating items at the saleroom and answer your questions
How to place bids.
Attending the sale. If you are attending a Bellmans sale and wish to register to bid you are required to complete a paddle registration card and to produce one form of photographic identification.
Leaving a commission bid. This is your maximum bid which you would like to place on an item. A bid can be left via the online catalogue, emailing email@example.com or contacting a representative in the office on 01403 700858.
Bidding live via the internet. We offer live bidding via the www.saleroom.com. This facility enables you to bid from the comfort of your own home. To register, visit thesaleroom.com prior to the start of the auction. An additional 3% plus VAT will be charged by thesaleroom.com to use this facility.
By telephone. You can arrange to bid in person by telephone, however, the lot must be estimated over or expected to sell for £300 or more. Telephone lines much be arranged with a Bellmans representative at least two hours prior to the start of the auction and are allocated on a first come first served basis. There is no extra charge for this service.
How do I find out if my bid has been successful?
- All results will be available on the on-line catalogue at the end of each sale day.
- If your bid has been successful an invoice will be sent via email or post on the last day of the auction.
- You can call the office if you think that you have been successful.
Paying for purchased lots.
Buyers premium of 20% on the hammer price plus VAT at 20% is payable on all lots. (The VAT rate may alter and will be levied at the appropriate rate.) Lots purchased via the-saleroom.com will incur an additional 3% charge plus VAT at 20%.
- Payment can be made immediately after the sale of the item, we accept cash, credit card with a surcharge, debit card and direct wire transfer.
Payment of all purchased lots must be made by the Wednesday following the sale.
How to collect purchases.
- On payments of your lots, the items can be collected from the saleroom.
- We recommend using Clear House Moves – 077919 363760 for deliveries.
- We recommend Mailboxes for postage.
- If items are being shipped internationally, a Bellmans representative will be able to advise and assist in the shipment of your items.
TERMS OF SALE BY AUCTION AND CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS - BUYERS
Selling at Auction
How to get a valuation on your item?
- We offer free valuations at the saleroom on Tuesdays and Thursday 9.30am - 4.30pm, closed between 1pm and 2pm. We are unable to provide valuation during our monthly auctions.Strictly no valuations on sale day.
- No appointments required, however please call prior to you visit.
- By appointment only a specialist can visit your property to value your items for house contents.
- Request an auction valuation by email. All you will need to provide is a high resolution image of your item, description and contact details.
What is the sellers commission rates?
- 15% of the hammer price plus VAT and a £5 plus VAT lotting fee on each sold item.
How do I get the items to Bellmans?
- We can help arrange collection of your items. The fees for this service can be charged directly from the collection company or deducted from the sale proceeds.
- Please contact a Bellmans representative if wishing to deliver your item to us.
Do receive a catalogue?
- If you are selling items in the auction we will happily send a catalogue to the registered address on request.
How do I find out sale results?
- All results will be available on the online catalogue at the end of each sale day.
- Please do not hesitate to contact a Bellmans representative to discuss your sale results.
How soon will I be paid?
- The settlement statements and cheques will be sent out within three weeks after the last day of the three day auction.
- Direct transfer payments can be organised if the accounts department is informed at least two weeks prior to the auction by email or post.
How to proceed if items remain unsold.
- The Seller will be notified of any unsold items within 14 days of the sale. The Seller can either re-offer the lot(s) with a lower reserve in a future auction, or collect the lot(s) within 28 days.
- If a Bellmans representative has not received instructions within 28 days, the lot(s) will be re-offered without reserve and sold to the highest bidder. Where a request has been made for a seller to remove goods from the saleroom, and they are not removed within 28 days of such a request, the aforementioned conditions will apply.
TERMS OF SALE BY AUCTION AND CONDITIONS OF BUSINESS - VENDORS